Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Surviving Saudi Arabia - A Funny Scene in Souk


Today I’ve got to go beyond distance from my safe zone with me are my newly 2 found kababayan friends. They are going to souk (a arabic term for market) to buy fish and other cooking ingredients. I’m so excited that I’ve got to prepare early. The experience is nice! got to see a lot of stores that sells cheap stuff just don’t convert it to pesos hehehehe but here that is below the belt price. Got to buy fish, shrimps and vegies for the first time, oh boy I’ve get myself a magic sarap! that I haven’t seen for a month now hehehehe and got to get my favorite pancit canton. I’ve bought a lot like cheeze pemiento, sinigang mix, bulalo cup noodles, vitsen, knorr cubes, kangkong, squash (there squash looks funny actually it looks like a fruit with a funny fruit shape thing). The funny thing about the kabayan fish market is that the vendor’s are not Filipino but instead Indian nationals and make no mistake man they speak Filipino! ahahaha they will call you first "pare!" ahahahah I’ve got hit in the head what in the world they speak Filipino! ahahahaha I can’t hide to laugh and I’ve just stop myself after a brief second in burst of laughing. Indian ask me "magkano pare?" ahahaha I still can’t hide a grin in my face and I’ve just pointed in a bangus fish, They sell per kilo nor per piece and one piece is around 12 Riyals that will be 120+ in pesos. Indian ask again "Ilang peraso? slice pare?" I answer anim sadiq... I’ve got to buy also shrimps and they don’t sell 1/4 ok they only sell per kilo and 1/2 only no 1/4... sorry guys I’m the only one living here and I can’t eat a lot of shrimps so I thought that 1/4 is enough and the indian said no 1/4 while laughing at me tsk tsk tsk look at how karma turns back around and said "Kuripot ka pare" ahahahahahahahaha WTF!!! my god ahahahahahahahahah up to this point I can’t  stop laughing..  and get this a kilo of shrimps cost around 24 Riyals and half will be 12 Riyals tsk tsk tsk I will not convert it to pesos again or ill die in starvation in this place... good thing about them is that they are kind enough to add a small amount of shrimps in short dinagdagan ng kunti ^_^ sabay sabi ng kaibigan kong si Kuya Amir na mababait yan sila... Binibiro pa nga ng kaibigan ko ang mga indian sabay turo sa kahoy na isda at sabay tanong magkano kilo nyan? ahahahaha at saka tinuro nya rin ang aquarium na may mga isdang maliliit na magkano ang kilo rin ahahahahaha napatawa lang ang mga indian XD ... after that we just left behind the seafoods and tell the indian that we will be getting it afterwards, we will still buy some Filipino products.. in the baka,l there I see the filipino products that I never thought that I’ll be seeing again, magic sarap, knorr cubes, sinigang mix, cheese pimiento, noodles, cup noodles, pancit kanton, vitsen, daing, dried squid, sardines and other usual Filipino stuff. I’m so amaze that i can’t help my self-getting them hehehehe don’t laugh at me about this but as a typical first timer OFW you’ll just do the same as me hmmfff!!.. ahahahah.. then we get to the vegies stores there i saw some weird shape eggplant its either a short very round one or a thin small one hahaha wew, my kabayan friend told me that “in here I’m sure you’ll get fat same as we do... I look the same when I got here also thin as you do but now look at me”.. I’ve got to shop a lot of food and thank god I’ve got some helpful information about sending money way back in my homeland Philippines but still I need to wait for my iqama card in order to get myself sending some money to my family.

On our way back even though its 3 of us a Toyota Camry stops at our side and a local arab asking where are we going tsk tsk tsk namimick-up tong lokong to ah! namamakla ika ng kasama ko hahahahaha my friend told me if that happens to me when I’m alone just ignore it and put an angry face while staring at them...  Walking alone during night time at this place gives you creeps it happens usually in this place.. so for those newly one’s going here and you’re an adventurous person will i think you need to lessen those ranging hormones of yours and try to feel the surrounding’s first... don’t walk alone that’s the good thing to reconsider always.

But as of today Im happy to get my self some kababayan to talk to and somehow help you in giving bits and pieces of information. Sa uulitin ulit malapit ng matapos ang ramadan saan kaya ako mag eid nito wew....

No comments:

Post a Comment